Ivory Keytops - "Waterfall"/Claudia

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:42:23 -0700

Claudia,
I've done quite a few sets, before "Acylikey". Since, only one set. (3-4
years) The machine that I use is a belt sander that originally came with all
the Oslund Key equipment. It is set at 45 degrees and has a special "V"
fixture, which I think was intended to "soften" the edges of the Ivorine.
Also it has a right angle table. I set up a fence on the right angle table,
to use in the initial "grinding" TO the face of the key and then use the "V"
fence to put an even bevel on the top. After which, I hand file the corners,
somewhat, to "soften" the sharp part of the corners. Then I give them a
vigorous buffing with 2 grades of buffing compound.
As Acrilykey will repair even huge chips, I no longer offer the
"Waterfalling" unless the client insists on it. (Some clients get a really
weird attachment to "THEIR Ivories"!) I should say that the current
Acrilykey kits have a different color that I don't like. I prefer the olde
stuff. As Richard Wagner was one of my Students, (one of the best I've had),
AND I am one of his "beta" testers, we are on it. Unfortunately, making the
changes necessary are costly and time consuming for Richard, so it will take
time.
As for the pianist sensing if the keys are shorter, I suspect some would. I
think it depends on the player(s). Some pianists play WAY deep into the
keys, while others work on the ends.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)