Ivory Keytops - "Waterfall"

Tom Dickson td_tuner@hotmail.com
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 03:47:25 +0000

Hi Claudia:

   I've done this, reluctantly, when a customer has indicated that there are
no more funds to use towards the piano.  I really do not like the look of
this.  But, if that's what the customer demands, after all the technician's
protests, so be it.

   I have used the method Matt mentioned.  I place the table of the disk
sander on a very slight angle off of 90 degrees, and then use hand sanding
to round the bevel ever so lightly.

   The piano I bought when I started tuning 10 years ago is a boudoir piano
from The Columbus Piano Company.  It's a pretty neat old instrument.  It
will turn out quite nicely when I get around to refurbishing it.  But, one
of the drawbacks to it is the "waterfall" done on the keys by someone.  I
save ivory from keytop jobs I do, and I will eventually have the ivory (that
matches) to replace these shortened heads.

  Too bad I have to do that, though.  If the chipped ivory repair methods
available now were available when the decision was made to round off my
ivories, I would be much farther ahead.

  Anyway, best of luck!  Hope all goes well for yoou.

Sincerely,

Tom Dickson
Regina, SK