Chickoring Square Grand tuning

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:19:14 -0700

Sherry,
If you are taller than 5'6", I would tell you to give it a go. Because of
the tuning procedure that dictates that you are constantly bending at the
waist, you need to be at least this tall, in order to save your back. One
trick: stand diagonally to the piano and ALWAYS lean against the piano, with
your hip, while tuning. This will lessen the pressure on your back muscles.
TAKE NUMEROUS BREAKS! When I do a first time client, square grand, I book
the entire day, so that I am not in a rush and can have the liberty of these
breaks. When your back starts to protest, even a little bit, it's time for a
break. Athletes stretching excercises help also. I usually do these during
the breaks. Also, go sit in a comfortable chair or in the car, (if it's a
comfortable one). Because I book the entire day, I do charge double my
regular tuning rate, which includes double for pitch raises and double my
hourly rate for repairs. If the client isn't willing to pay those kinds of
fees, then they need to get a modern instrument that the "average" type
tuner can take care of.

If the piano has been recently "rebuilt", why isn't the "rebuilder" doing
the tuning?
If the piano was properly rebuilt, you will be able to use a standard tuning
hammer configuration. But, if the "rebuilder" was being cute and decided to
use the olde style "oval" pins, then you're in a world of hurt if you don't
have a double headed tuning tip w/appropriate "oval" tips, (at right angles
to each other). If this is the "typical rebuild" that I see, too often, be
prepared to spend a lot of time aligning hammers and cleaning up the mess of
lack of regulation and improper dampers, yada, yada...........!

Joseph Alkana!
These type of comments are not appreciated. You are only perpetuating the
stigma. The people that own/love/cherish these instruments deserve the same
quality of workmanship as those with modern pianos. If you choose not to
work on them, then that's just fine with me. Just keep your biased comments
to yourself, please.
Anyone who wishes to know more about the tuning technique required for
square grands, feel free to contact me at any time.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)