Chickoring Square Grand tuning

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@attbi.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:57:23 -0700

Joseph Garrett,
Well Mr. Garrett I've gone to bat for you in the past with no thanks and =
now over a simple light-hearted remark you want to take me to task in =
public. I'm pissed. I'm fuming. Besides I just got out of the hospital =
with a double heart attack. So Back  OFF. Thanks to you this list is now =
history for me. Hope I don't have another heart attack because of your =
insensitive remarks. May you rot in proverbial Hell.
Bye all.
Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@attbi.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joseph Garrett=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 9:19 PM
  Subject: Chickoring Square Grand tuning

  Sherry,
  If you are taller than 5'6", I would tell you to give it a go. Because =
of
  the tuning procedure that dictates that you are constantly bending at =
the
  waist, you need to be at least this tall, in order to save your back. =
One
  trick: stand diagonally to the piano and ALWAYS lean against the =
piano, with
  your hip, while tuning. This will lessen the pressure on your back =
muscles.
  TAKE NUMEROUS BREAKS! When I do a first time client, square grand, I =
book
  the entire day, so that I am not in a rush and can have the liberty of =
these
  breaks. When your back starts to protest, even a little bit, it's time =
for a
  break. Athletes stretching excercises help also. I usually do these =
during
  the breaks. Also, go sit in a comfortable chair or in the car, (if =
it's a
  comfortable one). Because I book the entire day, I do charge double my
  regular tuning rate, which includes double for pitch raises and double =
my
  hourly rate for repairs. If the client isn't willing to pay those =
kinds of
  fees, then they need to get a modern instrument that the "average" =
type
  tuner can take care of.

  If the piano has been recently "rebuilt", why isn't the "rebuilder" =
doing
  the tuning?
  If the piano was properly rebuilt, you will be able to use a standard =
tuning
  hammer configuration. But, if the "rebuilder" was being cute and =
decided to
  use the olde style "oval" pins, then you're in a world of hurt if you =
don't
  have a double headed tuning tip w/appropriate "oval" tips, (at right =
angles
  to each other). If this is the "typical rebuild" that I see, too =
often, be
  prepared to spend a lot of time aligning hammers and cleaning up the =
mess of
  lack of regulation and improper dampers, yada, yada...........!

  Joseph Alkana!
  These type of comments are not appreciated. You are only perpetuating =
the
  stigma. The people that own/love/cherish these instruments deserve the =
same
  quality of workmanship as those with modern pianos. If you choose not =
  work on them, then that's just fine with me. Just keep your biased =
comments
  to yourself, please.
  Anyone who wishes to know more about the tuning technique required for
  square grands, feel free to contact me at any time.
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)