Feeling the Hammers when playing

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:49:59 +0200

> From: "Richard Brekne" <richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no>
> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:52:14 +0200
> To: "PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: Feeling the Hammers when playing

Hello Brekman!

> So how do you explain this "tingling" sensation at the key ? Specifically,
> exactly when during the hammers travel from just at sting impact to checking
> does this happen, and what is the duration of the sensation ?

It's simple Ricky, you just strike a key, you hit the bottom which is the
front rail punching right? you then clearly feel the energy from the impact
of the hammer against the string.

>What do you have
> to say about the fact Joe brings up that the key is not coupled to the hammer
> at the moment of string impact ?
>
> I agree that on some level or another one can feel the hammer hardness....
> still... its problematic to explain.

No it is not.

I'll explain.
Some time ago I was in Korea at the Samick factory.
I had to explain why a harder or more firm front rail punching would produce
a better (i.e. louder) tone.
right on the spot (boy, was I lucky... pfff) I found the perfect answer
which they all immediately understood :

Why does a tone get louder when you replace the front punching with a more
dense one?
We have to compare it with a seasaw on which two little children sit.

One child pushes off from the ground, the other hits the ground.
The ground is soft because it is sand so the impact is not painful.
OK..I can see that you already got it.
Now we replace the sand...it is hard cement. The child coming down hits the
cement BAM! it hurts! and the other child on the other end of the the seasaw
is almost catapulted off  into the sky.
The difference lies in the hardness of the ground, which, in our case is the
front punching.

The opposite takes place as well but is a bit more dampened by the different
action parts absorbing the blow of the hammer against the string.
Also, the hammer blow against the string causes overall vibrations
throughout the whole instrument resulting in vibrations we can perceive with
our sensitive fingers, just like you can feel the vibrations if you put your
hand against the side of the grand.

So...the harder the hammer, the harder the impact, the more you can feel the
vibrations. However, a stone hard new hammer causes less absorbtion of
energy through the keys.
A well voiced hammer, but not too much please, sort of 'spreads' energy
better and that we can feel easily in our sensitive fingers.
Using this method amplifies our perception during the voicing process and we
would be stupid not to use it.

Capisce?

friendly greetings
from