University Sales - My two cents worth

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 07:32:08 -0500

I can understand your frustration with this program. I've been working at a
summer music school for the last 25 years. About 10 years ago they started
this option of borrowing pianos. At first, they got 25 pianos, now they are
getting over 40 out of the box pianos every year. Now, these are factory
sealed to about 20% relative humidity. The music school's practice rooms are
about at 80% since the building is not heated during the winter months and
is basically a concrete slab. So, every beginning of june, I get about 2
weeks to prepare (well let's be honest here) to tune all those. By the time
I'm finished, the first ones I did are about 15¢ sharp in the tenor. My
biggest problem comes from the administration that is convinced that I'm
lucky to have new pianos to work with. They think it's less work... It's
very frustrating to see all the pianos go out every year just as they have
become a little stable.

Schools should all have a replacement schedule for pianos as they do with
computers. I think a piano shouldn't live more then 10 years in a music
school.

Marcel Carey, RPT