chickering

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:52:23 -0800

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Carwithen=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: March 14, 2002 8:42 PM
  Subject: chickering

  I just had a really fine experience, and I wanted to share it with =
someone who would even get a clue of what I am talking about.

  I had the opportunity to tune a 1845-1850 Chickering 6'4" Grand =
yesterday.  It had had some hard use, and smoke damage earlier in its =
life, but had been rebuilt in the 1940's with Steinway strings, new =
hammers, new pin block etc.  Hammers had not been shaped since, so I did =
that, and tuned it.  The owner had refinished it completely so that it =
was impeccable. =20

  What a wonderful instrument.  I have heard you guys (and gals) talk =
about the "Chickering sound" for years (that original sound before the =
company was sold early in the 20th century).  I now know what that sound =
is, and it is marvelous.  Dark & rich; almost devoid of percussiveness; =
just an unbelieveably gorgeous timber.  I took photos of it if anyone =
would like to see what it looked like.  What a pleasure to work with. =20

Ed,

I would love to see pictures of this piano. Chickering was building =
outstanding instruments when Steinway and the rest were still =
daydreaming about them.

Del