Kawai worth

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:55:38 EST

Bradley writes:
>  He should not overvalue the piano; that could start problems with the IRS.
I just do
>not know if $12,000 is being fair to the client based on the description of
>the piano. Personally, I would start setting the FMV somewhere around $15,000
> for tax purposes. But there is good argument for a few thousand dollars
>in either direction. Again, if someone asked me how much I thought they
should
> pay for that piano, most likely I would recommend something like $10,000.
> This situation simply has a different set of criteria .

Greetings all,
    I agree, the dealer would like to see the piano valued as high as
possible, since he has inventory of his own that this would be competing
with.  An mint condition piano will be as attractive to most customers as a
new one.  One problem is that pianos with a MSRP of $26,000 are being sold
for $17-18,000, so the value of taking a percentage of the MSRP is vague.
   One thing I DO know is that I don't want a confrontation with the IRS, so
I must value the piano in a supportable way.  With the feedback from numerous
sources, I now believe that $14,000 is a safe figure, and the piano needs
$600 worth of regulation and tuning.  If called to justify the price, I will
not be able to point to other sales as a basis, but will be able to compare
to similar instruments on the market.
   The whole issue of worth for musical instruments is a gray area, (think
Stradivarius), and my 1946 Martin guitar is worth far more than a new one
"just like it".
Thanks to all that helped.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT