EBVT offsets - another try

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 May 2002 16:18:19 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/02 3:03:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com (Ron Koval) writes:

> Thanks Bill, for the recent posting about one of your latest tunings.
>
> I ran the numbers, had to adjust the master tuning to reflect what a linear
> tuning machine might calculate.  Also, this was a tuning on the same model
> instrument, not the same exact instrument. (yup, there's some disclaimers
> here!)  This one looks a little different than what's been posted in the
> past, with major thirds ranging from 9.6 - 17.5 cents from pure.  E and Eb
> have the widest thirds, though on the beat speed graph the effect isn't so
> obvious.  The maximum offset is 4.1, though this could be balanced a
> little,
> if you don't mind having the A's a cent or two off from 440.  So give it a
> try, calculate a tuning and try these offsets and hear what the result is.

Thanks, Ron,

I have one more tuning to do today and may have the time to try this.  I will
let you know what happens.  This last posting of the EBVT is an "extra mild"
version.  As with Jorgensen's article on tuning according to one's personal
taste, I can adjust the speed of the first 3rd tuned if I desire.  I used to
set my initial C4-E4 3rd at 7 cents wide, measuring by direct interval.  That
meant my widest 3rds would be a little wider than what you found.

This extra mild version produces a super smooth sound and is great for
professional situations where the artist may be critical of either too slow
or too fast beating in any intervals.  I can make all my 4ths & 5ths sound
about as good as anyone can.  It really preserves the kind of sound people
are used to but also gives them the distinct cycle of 5ths color.

Remember that the Rules for Well Tempered Tuning (see my website for a
complete and detailed presentation) have nothing to do with interval size,
only beat speeds.  The EBVT is actually a Modified Meantone Temperament which
does not usually conform to Werkmeister's rules and can seem very irregular.
The mild nature of my EBVT however, cause it to just barely meet
Werkmeister's rules aurally.  For each and ever major and minor tonality,
there is a distinctly different character but a very fine gradation from one
to the next.  There are no triads at all which are exactly like any of ET.

I'll report on your numbers later.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin