Tight wippen centers

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:30:39 -0600

Seven years ago I had a customer with a Wurlitzer console that had very =
tight wippen centers. After finding that a bit of center pin lube was =
not going to do it, I treated them with Baldwin's bushing shrinking =
formula of methenol, water and dissolved Ivory soap chips. I dried them =
with the heat gun and it seemed to work fine. Now seven years later she =
wants to sell the piano and the wippen centers are sluggish again. Part =
of the problem is that the console action and keys are so light, that =
any friction anywhere is going to keep the action from returning.

I could repin them, but she doesn't want to spend that much since =
frankly, the piano is not worth that much. Does anyone have a sure fire =
bushing treatment that will loosen the most stubborn centers?

Dave Bunch