Pins & Cups

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:41:49 -0500

I had a similar experience. Comments below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: <tune4u@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 9:34 PM
Subject: Pins & Cups

> New client today. 1961 Storey & Clark console. Three items:

New Boston studio and a 1980 (guess) S&S 1098
>=20
> First, the pin-block (4 thin ply, one bigger layer in back) is VERY
> tight--like a new Baldwin or more so. It didn't seem to be a string
> resistance thing because it as very noticeable even in the base (no V =
bar
> there) and it tuned just fine, no jumps, no Steinway-like delay in =
pitch
> change. But, man, I'll have to eat Wheaties before I go there again.

Hexakill pinblock. Very tight. Just happened to have my torque wrench =
with me. Picked 8 pins randomly. Seven were greater than 200 in.-lbs. =
tighening the string, and all were 160 to 180 in.-lbs. loosening the =
string. My arm is still sore (tuned it last Friday). Oh, and PLENTY of =
Steinway-like delay in pitch change! The Boston was almost as tight, but =
the pins were mushy - like someone did the "Pintight" treatment to them. =
You could never get the little bumps of movement that you like to feel =
when making small adjustments. It drove me nuts.=20
>=20
> Second, my hammer just would not seat well on those pins. I thought at =
first
> that the strings were keeping the tip from dropping in, as sometimes =
happens
> close to the V bar (Wurlitzer!) but that wasn't it. Tried #2 and #3. =
Loose,
> floppy, sloppy. I couldn't let go of the hammer, most of the time, as =
it
> would fall off. It really exacerbated (can you say that on TV?) the
> tight-pin problem above. Did S&C use weird pins? I've only tuned a =
couple
> others and didn't notice such a problem.

Same thing with the Boston. I used the tip I use on almost all pianos - =
including the Boston that I own. The tip would just not go on snugly. =
And yes, I agree, it really exacerbated (can you say that on TV?) the =
tight-pin problem.
>=20
> Third, This is new to the owners and they have real nice hardwood =
floors.
> They only had stupid square little hardware store rubber cups to I =
sold them
> some wooden caster cups BUT (actual QUESTION follows) what kinds of
> solutions are there to the problem of piano bench feet scraping around =
on
> nice floors?

I have glued felt to the leg bottoms. Recently a cusomer of mine had =
some really nice add-on thingees with felt bottoms for the legs. I don't =
know where she found them.

Shall we split a jar of Ben-Gay?