Relevant OT (?) was - Computer clock

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:40:34 -0700

Jonathan, Dave, et al,,,,,,,,  I would like to think that having an ETD =
"go down" would not inhibit any piano technician from continuing in his =
work. It might be a little more like "work", but if you really can't do =
it without the machine, then you need a little more education in the =
tuning art.=20
    Even if I'm using my Accutuner, I'm still listening to intervals as =
I go. I know I see a lot of people who aren't doing that. I think it was =
David Love, wasn't it, who said that all his fourths beat about the =
same?  I've been checking this, and yes, you can get a very lovely =
result with this amount of stretch. Even if you use a machine, one of =
the last things I do before leaving the piano is to check the =
seventeenths for smooth progression, any notes that have "slipped" will =
stick out like a sore thumb. =20

    And of course, the RPT exam is only a minimum of what is expected of =
someone who wished to attain that level in our field, there's a lot more =
work to do later, if your desire is to improve.

Just my 2 cents,=20
Kevin.=20

  Dave, that's a good question.
  I had heard that aural tuning was getting worse and worse...Are aural
  tuners finally bad enough that we need to ask that question?  *nudge
  nudge, wink wink*

  Jonathan Finger RPT