FAC adjustments

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 06:33:44 -0700

Patrick, you might look into Jim's "Dual FAC" tuning method. You use F3 =
(or the lowest plain wire) reading on one page for all the plain wires =
in the tenor through the treble, and take another reading using the =
highest wound string, plus A4 and C6 for the wound strings in the tenor =
and bass.=20
    This may be described better in your manual.
Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Patrick C.Poulson=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 9:56 PM
  Subject: FAC adjustments

  Hello Jim: So nice to hear that you are back on the active list. I =
have a
  question for you, if you don't mind my picking your brain. I have a =
SAT II,
  and occasionally I will find that it gives widely stretched octaves in =
the
  lower temperment area. This has occured on several consoles, the last =
one
  being a Shoninger. This one was typical of this kind of problematic =
piano in
  that the reading on the F3 note had a very high value, around 18 as I
  recall, and A4 was much lower, around 8.  I had octaves over 4 cents =
wide in
  the lower temperment area, and had to raise the lower notes up to get
  acceptably beating octaves. This problem doesn't seem to always happen =
with
  high F values, curiously enough, just on a few pianos.  I seem to =
recall you
  talking about a way of changing the FAC values to narrow the octaves, =
but
  kind find it in my notes. Could you repeat them for me, or perhaps =
direct me
  to a Journal article in which you talk about this? Thanks and best =
wishes,
  Patrick Poulson, RPT