'German' scale

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 07:58:31 +1000

>Clyde Hollinger wrote:
>
>Friends,
>
>A customer asked me what the brass plaque on the left cheekblock of
>their 1989 Samick console means.  It says "Imperial German scale."  I
>  said I don't know.  Can someone tell me?  On the plate it also says
>"scale design by K. Fenner."  Is this something special, or just another
>sales gimmick?
>
>Regards,
>Clyde

Like so much of the 'hot air' that sales departments dream up, the
'Imperial German scale' on Samicks has very little relevance, since
they place it on all of their uprights piano models. To my knowledge
the only three models which have Fenner scales are the 118, 121 and
127. The 131 and the smaller than 118s all have scales which are 'in
house' generations (complete with bichords on the lower notes of the
long bridge - even on the 131). Fenner's scales are superior to the
in house scales. But I cannot see how the placement of note D#31 as
the first on the treble bridge (for all three Fenner upright scales)
should qualify them as Imperial scales. Maybe they browsed through a
Bösendorfer catalogue while looking for the ultimate sales line.

If some of these aspiring commercial graders would spend a little
more on real design and quality control instead of badge engineering,
they might indeed achieve something.

For example, how can a grand piano leave the factory with signed
inspection labels hanging all over it while the damper guide wires
are jangling merrily away against the strings? Perhaps the level of
commitment in the quality control section is about on par with that
of the production line.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY