Tight wippen centers

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:51:27 -0600

I also believe in doing the job right, but that doesn't mean that every =
tight center needs repinning, especially on a cheap piano. Its kind of =
like going to the doctor with tennis elbow and getting sent straight to =
surgery when some physical therapy may take care of it. We understand =
when doctors tell us that they are going to try conservative treatment =
first, and that something more aggressive may be needed in the future.

I have used the Baldwin formula for about twenty years with great =
success. In fact, this is the first piano that I can remember having the =
centers tighten up again after treatment. Even in this case, the =
treatment kept them loose for seven years, making the treatment a good =
value for the customer since this cost a small fraction of repinning.

I also believe that one reason for the success with this method was =
recognizing when repinning really was necessary, choosing carefully =
which centers would be a good candidate for shrinking.=20

Dave Bunch
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 5:11 PM
  Subject: Re: Tight wippen centers

  In a message dated 4/1/03 5:02:02 PM Central Standard Time, =
cedel@supernet.com writes:

    I try the easy thing first, since it is inexpensive, and my =
experience has been that more often than not it does the job.  If one =
informs the customer that you are trying to save them money and more =
extensive work may still be necessary, you can still charge them if you =
have to go "whole hog."=20

    Think of a business which advertises, "We do it right the first =
time."  In general I feel good about businesses like that, but then I =
realized that to make that promise they may end up doing three or four =
procedures, just to be sure to solve the problem, when only one was =
really needed.  And of course, you pay for all that extra work.  I guess =
it comes down to knowing your clientele and being up front with them.=20

    Regards,=20
    Clyde=20

  Clyde

  If you think a customer will remember you told them the piano might =
need more work later on, I guess you must have a very understanding =
clientele. It's been my experience that if a piano doesn't work after =
it's been "repaired," it's your fault, no matter how much you explained =
to them that problems might arise in the future.=20

  But why do it "half assed" in the first place? Yes, a center can be =
loosed by lubricating it. But my experience tells me that wippen =
flanges, especially, don't like to be lubricated.=20

  Wim=20