Tom Sheehan again

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:04:14 +0000

Hi all,

I went out today and bought Innner Voyage, the CD by Gonzalo Rubalcaba
recommended on the list a few days ago.  Nice playing, but I was struck by
the Fender Rhoades-type sound of the piano during most of the CD.  Another
too-closed-miked and too much compression in post-production...  We've tried
recording at the school, and I know how hard it is to get the balance right
in ensemble playing.  Tough to get the tone, yet still get separation
between the other instruments.

I pulled out the other CD I've liked for a few years.  It's been in the
changer in my car for ready access.  It has the best example of piano
vibrato in the beginning of the first track.  This solo piano recording has
the proper attack and decay, good tone, though the performer overplays the
instrument in a few spots.  I dug through my car to see if the tech was
credited in the liner notes and yup!, it was Tom Sheehan again!

Michael Whalen - The Softest Touch

Ron Koval
Chicagoland