Slow Console Action

Wed, 2 Apr 2003 18:57:53 -0500

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:06:20 -0500 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> Not really slow, but rather when you lift your finger up off a key
> slowly, the jack will not slide under the hammer butt. I believe
> this to be a somewhat common problem on these little pianos. This
> one is a 1960ish Kohler & Campbell console. Clearly, the key is
> front weighted enough that the wippen is not able to return the key
> to resting position fully and thus let the jack slip under the butt.
> I lubed the action liberally with Protek and eased all the keys -
> got everything as loose as I reasonably could - the jacks still get
> stuck when lifting off the note slowly.
>
> I suppose the jack springs could be a bit on the weak side. On a
> well designed and manufactured vertical piano in good condition,
> should the weight of the wippen be sufficient to push the rear of
> the key down to rest on the backrail felt? I should think so.
>
> Have I missed anything? Any recommendations?
>
> Terry Farrell

Hi Terry -

This fix may sound crude, but let's face it, you're working with a crude
instrument, in it's heyday.  If  I've checked for excessive friction and
found none and convinced myself it is basically a design flaw in the PSO,
several times over the years I have successfully remedied this problem by
adding lead to the back side of the key, just far enough back to help the
poor thing back down.  Use the quick and easy type you apply to the top
side of the keystick.  The whole job will take about 20 minutes, tops.
Many of these are just not worth the effort to meticulously go thru the
entire action trying to attain zero friction so that the wippen MIGHT
push the key back down.  At least try one or two keys to see what you
think....

Just an opinion....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com