Help! Setting up a new shop

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 19:22:12 -0700

At 04:49 PM 4/2/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Thanks Terry,
>We will get that on order right away and talk to the contractor about
>installing the steel plate.  Where is the best place to locate it in the shop?
>Warren

Warren,
    Itza steel building, right? So... have the contractor make one of the
beams an I beam, instead of a C-purlin type. That way, you can run your
chain hoist(s) on the beam, with ready-made roller tracks. Relatively cheap
from Grainger. Super versatility with hoisting. Also, overhead storage is
very nice, as Joe says, and you can kill two birds, so-to-speak, by having
one section of storage be heavy-duty. I had the welder put in an 8X9
overhead rack at a good height for go-bars. Lotsa versatility there, also.
Go-bars can be used for all kinds of operations, when there's enough space
and a good variable-height work cart.
     Water drains for your extensive air lines. Double whatever you think
you'll need, and you'll save a lot of equipment. Also.... won't gum up that
freshly sanded veneer. Auto oilers are cheap and handy for specific lines
that use stuff that needs oil.
      A portable "stage" is extremely handy. Approx 14 inches tall, 2X12s
with 3/4 ply and then hardwood tiles or strips. Not really cheap, but
wait'll you try it. Just big enough to hold the three legs of whatever
size. (like... 6X8foot) Tiltable for storage, like up against a wall, or
dollied like a grand into storage. When you place your project on the
stage, you can work dampers without a chiropractor, chip tune
standing,  rub-out finish on the rim, and....and.... welll.... you get the
idea. Real good height, and something besides concrete to hear the piano.
Under you hoist(s), it will allow you to see the nose-bolts, etc., easily.
Rig a break block or trim the edge with something to help prevent gravity
games.
       Slidell, eh? Forget the drop ceiling for the work space.  Office and
baths, sure. Use that height! There's a lot of use for that space. Hang
stuff. Keysets in clamps, vertical actions, you name it.

Oh.... and again Joe hit one of the real biggies.
Tunes, man,.... get that sound system in first!

Have fun,
Guy

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon