Twisted key

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 23:34:40 -0600

I set a key and its plastic key top on fire once. Do be careful.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Richard Moody
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 10:01 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Twisted key

I once heated a twisted key over a gas stove burner flame and then
clamped it to a large cutting board.  This was done in the clients
home using their cutting board.  It took two tries but  the key
was back in the piano during that service call.

I like your suggestion of twisting it by hand while heating the
key. After all this is how "burning in" of hammers is done.   I
used the cutting board to determine when the twist is out by
sighting front and sideways.

----rm