"Greasy New Chain Hoists' Stuff": special to Ron Nossaman

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:07:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi,Ron,
    I appreciate your environmental sensitivity, and
the car wash might be a better idea. But I only needed
2 gallons of mineral spirits to cover the hoist,
turning it, which I later used for auto parts cleaning
until it was diminished in quantity and really nasty.
Then I poured it, as I do with all contaminated
solvents, onto several layers of gigantic pieces of
cardboard, with a tarp underneath ( cardboard from
furniture stores-couch boxes and such ) out back in
the sunshine, which allows the solvent to evaporate.
    There is much we do in this business which is
environmentally  "suspect", but I feel that it is far
better that solvents evaporate, as opposed to
landfilling, in which case they can cause much worse
mischief in the form of groundwater coinatmination.
     Cheers,
     Thump
P.S.: I think that the BEST way to clean a new chain
hoist, actually, would be to blast it with a couple of
cans of brake parts cleaner. (wearing a mask!)