Scrapers, was "Removing paint from the woodwork".

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 20:37:52 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 4:52 PM
Subject: Scrapers, was "Removing paint from the woodwork".

> Which is why you "round" the corners; so they can't
> dig in! I have never mastered the use of the classic
> rectangular cabinet scraper, although many sing of
> their virtues. I do, though, really enjoy the type
> with the long handle that one pulls. Always round the
> corners.
>      Thump

Yes. Round the corners on one side, keep square corners on the other for
those inside corners.  They are marvelous tools, ideal for figured grain and
burls.  Have you tried them on piano keys for cleaning the sides or trimming
the keystick that's wider than the replacement keytop, especially sharps.
The scraper will trim the wood, lead key weight, glue squeeze-out and the
sharp, leaving a surface ready for finishing.  Correctly sharpened, it will
level sanding sealer, paint sags and runs, over spray, etc.  Try it with a
very small burr.

Paul C