OT: Windows Update keeps tabs on all system software

Ned Swift swiftspiano@hotmail.com
Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:41:08 -0500

When I got my cable modem, I was concerned about hackers.  While I had an
antivirus program, I read that hackers some times plant non viral programs
that attack other PCs.  And that the hackers especially like PCs with high
speed access.  So, I bought a firewall program.

The firewall program allowed me to decide which programs get to access the
internet automatically, and which do not.  I was amazed at the number of
time that the MS programs wanted to access the internet in a one hour
period.  They were very annoying and I finally denied them access to the
Internet.  Prior to having the firewall, I would not have known that they
even accessed the internet.  FWIW

Ned Swift
Lowell, MI