OT: Windows Update keeps tabs on all system software

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:26:52 -0500

List,

Glad to see the word is finally getting around. I started monitoring MS
meddling about 8 years ago and the first XP one that I heard of, was
every DVD you watched on XP , it phoned home to MS to tell them what you
just watched - sounds like invasion of privacy to me.

Another word of warning to all you IE (internet Explorer) users - in
'98, I heard the story about how IE blocked and deleted, yes, deleted,
your email before you even saw it. These were email greeting cards from
Blue Mountain (Colorado) Internet Greeting Card service. Blue Mountain
won the lawsuit, and it cam out that MS wanted to be first with this
service so MS magically came out with an update to IE which did the
blocking and deleting. *** You will never know when another update will
break or meddle with your mail ***  Ever since then, I refuse to use IE
and use Netscape (now Mozilla, the open source version) Remember, WebTV,
MS did the same thing to the WebTV company (the name escapes me, too
long ago)

As a last comment, this is why I switched to Linux and run windows only
when and where I have to (ETD software, etc)

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Organ, Pump Organ