Upweight Maximums

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 17:54:07 -0400

At 10:18 PM +0200 4/6/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>I was newly presented with the idea that one should try and
>configure actions so that static Up
>Weights end up somewhere in the low 40 gram weight range, with friction
>weights around 8 to 10.  In addition, and action should not have any
>assistance from springs, magnets or any other such contrivance to play
>into the counter balance question.

For such an action to be successful (to avoid the many pitfalls of
friction, mass and leverage as we know them), it would have to have
low SWs (to reduce weight and friction back through the lever train)
and low FWs (to raise BWs). "Weight" probably has as many
connotations as "Perfect Pitch", including uses of gram weights which
fail to separate weight from friction.

But here, where weight has been reduced on both ends of the leverage,
first the SW and in turn, the FW, such an action, even with its 60g
DWs can seen to be "light". It will certainly be seen as lighter,
having both its SWS ad FWs lowered.

The lightness experienced here is actually the lowered total inertia
of the action. Sort of what Ed McMorrow had in mind with his LHTR. I
remember a few years back seeing a technician on FLA advertising in
the PTJ class ads, among his other services, "Low Inertia Actions".
What a pianist may miss in the use of lead to counterbalance action
weight, they certainly gain in the responsiveness gained in the
lowered inertia.

Well trained pianists are certainly be physically capable of driving
as action with DWs in the 60-70g range. They did for many years
during the CBS-Steinway era. And poorly put-together and otherwise
gummed up actions remain for them an occupational hazard. But should
they encounter one set up as Ric suggests, they might be delighted at
its responsiveness, and indeed (and paradoxically) call it "light".

At 10:18 PM +0200 4/6/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>It is her position that this
>configuration will feel lighter then any configuration possible that has
>Up Weights significantly below the levels she specifies.

Upweights are another matter. Once they climb up above 35g they can
frequently make the key return faster than a pianist might be
expecting. Of course with high key velocity playing, the high UW is
more of a minor factor in quick return. But in quiet and legato
playing, high UWs are like an opposing spring pressure, turning the
action into an exercise machine. Many pianists do like this, BTW.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.