Upweight Maximums

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 06 Apr 2003 18:41:27 -0600

At 10:18 PM 4/6/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi guys,

Who, me? Plural?
Ya know, I don't even think about that one, anymore, even when I use it!

>This means, as far as I can tell, that this technician is looking for
>rather heavy downweights, which is indeed her stated preference. But her
>reasoning for this is interesting. It is her position that this
>configuration will feel lighter then any configuration possible that has
>Up Weights significantly below the levels she specifies.

Light, but "positive", no? Has some allure, but...

>So.... I'd love to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Well, here's one.... Are pianists trying to control the action? Or the
tone? Control is the key, I believe, and good players don't have to think
about the action. They would rather it be transparent to the tone, and
beyond that, really directly to the "music", so-to-speak. My favorite times
in the audience come from when the piano satisfies the player (and me) well
enough so that I can listen to the music, instead of the piano.
So, with that in mind, you'll need either low strike weights or low
friction for the heavier-than-thou up weights with subsequent lower
inertia.... but....

what's that gonna do to the tone?

>Cheers
>
>RicB

Just a thought, and YOU asked for it,<G>
Guy (or "guys"), whatever

               "Not everything that counts can be counted,
                and not everything that can be counted counts."
                                                           Albert Einstein