"Greasy New Chain Hoists' Stuff": special to Ron Nossaman

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 16:08:20 -0700 (PDT)

True. But the EPA will tell you to drive it to a lined
landfill ( 100 miles away ) which WILL eventually
leak, contaminating the groundwater. And I think this
is FAR, FAR worse! I AM very careful that NONE of it
touches the ground, and if I had a large quantity that
would not spread safely over the cardboard, I would
take it to the big, concrete, abandoned stock-car
racetrack around the corner on a very hot, sunny day,
spread it out on the concrete and watch it evaporate
in about a minute!!! Got a better idea? I'd like to
hear it. Fortunately, I do very little of this sort of
work anymore.
    But I do recommend to all who strip pianos, and
don't have a dedicated stripping table, to place the
big sheets of cardboard under your stripping and then
let the solvent evaporate thoroughly from the
resulting goop. Have a dry place to stick it quickly
if rain comes, and you will in short order have
nothing but old fashioned varnish
( tree sap ) and cardboard to throw in the dumpster.
     Thump