Upweight Maximums

Sun, 6 Apr 2003 20:48:01 -0700

25g of UW is nice if you can get it at the right balance weight.  With 15 g
of friction at the bottom of the piano then a 40 g BW will give you a nice
feel and the upweight will graduate up to, probably, 30+ at the top of the
scale.  Assuming 80-85% of  front weight maximums, that still allows for
adequate strike weights with some ratio tampering if you like slighlty
higher SW's or lower front weights.  Allowing the bass to go down to 23 g
UW is okay too as most of the piano will be 25 g and above.  It's a good
default setting, in my opinion.  I aim for  37-39 g BW under normal
circumstances, 40-42 g BW for a concert instrument.   I like to keep the
ratio at 5.6 or above.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net