Agraffe reaming (seating)

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:43:46 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Overs" <sec@overspianos.com.au>
To: <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: Agraffe reaming (seating)

> It can be reasonably efficient if you use the agraffe tool in an
> electric driver for running the agraffes down for testing, and as
> David mentioned, a shim of a few thou will have an insignificant
> influence on the string plane error, but will allow you to set the
> position of the agraffes without straining the threads and risking
> breakage later on. The fitting procedure in many factories leaves
> much to be desired in this respect.

It is unlikely that any factory takes the time to "fit" agraffes these days.
As I'm sure you all know the bottom face of the modern agraffe is undercut
somewhat. The idea is that the agraffe can be snugged down and then forced
to align with the string, simply flaring out the bottom of the agraffe. With
these agraffes it is quite easy to get at least another half-turn beyond the
initial seating.

Perhaps there is still the odd manufacturer somewhere fitting these things
the old way, but I doubt it.

Del