keys not returning

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:01:39 -0600

<<I am convinced this particular piano had a weight problem. I tried =
turning several capstans down to increase lost motion - the backs of the =
<<keys just rise and still do not allow the jack to return under the =
butt. I have little doubt some little jiffy weights would help.

<<Terry Farrell>>

<<Hi Terry,

<<Think of a See Saw. The balance rail is a pivot. Balancing the key at =
90
<<degrees to your tuning lever at the balance rail hole. If "key" end =
drops
<<like a stone--you have found your problem.

<<At 06:19 PM 4/6/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>What is a simple "pivot"?
>
>Terry Farrell
> =20
>----- Original Message -----=20
>From: "Don" <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca>>>

    I agree with Terry that the keys need some weights, Jiffy or other.  =
If he turned capstans down to introduce a little lost motion and the =
backs of the keys rose, then the action parts aren't heavy enough to =
return the keys to their "home" position (or there's a friction problem =
somewhere, but I believe we're assuming that's already been checked).
       I disagree with Don that it's a problem if the front of the key =
drops when balanced on the balance hole.  In most pianos, when you =
remove the action, the fronts of the keys all drop to the front rail =
punchings, in other words, it's normal that the front half of the key is =
heavier than the rear.  Probably with most keys, if you balance them at =
the balance pin hole, the front will drop.  But with the action in,  the =
weight of the wippens and/or stickers is enough to keep the keys up at =
proper key height.  If that's not the case, then there's either friction =
or worn bushings or tight bushings or action parts that are too light, =
or another way of looking at it -- they keys need a little weight =
between the balance pin and the capstan.
    --David Nereson, RPT, Denver