Bergman Grand

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:49:57 -0700

Mute off all the speaking length in the treble beyond the dampers.  Mute =
the speaking lengths of the bass strings etc.  Looking for sympathic =
ringing.  You can use a cotton rag/tee shirt whatever. =20

David I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: KENNETH FINLAYSON=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 3:00 PM
  Subject: Bergman Grand

  Dear List!

  I have a Bergman Grand, one year old, with a ringing in the treble =
section. The customer is very unhappy; and the dealer feels it isn't the =
piano, and won't take it back. I tried tapping the bridge pins, muting =
the duplex scale, voicing the hammers. Still the ringing. It was not =
obvious until she pointed it out. Now she is focussing on it, and it is =
driving her crazy. What else can be done? Has anyone else had a similar =
problem? I am the third technician to look at it; all screws have been =
tightened and retightened. Could it be her hardwood floors? I don't =
think so. Could it be the piano surrounded by windows? I don't think =
that's it. It sounds like an internal piano problem. I phoned Phil Glen =
today, service manager for Young Chang. He suggested checking the hammer =
line. But it's more of an sypathetic after ring, vibrating from the =
smaller strings that aren't dampened.
  Thanks List,
  Kenny Finlayson, RPT