Bergman Grand

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:45:11 -0400

From: KENNETH <mailto:kennyfin@jetstream.net>  FINLAYSON

To: pianotech@ptg.org

Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 3:00 PM

Subject: Bergman Grand

Dear List!

I have a Bergman Grand, one year old, with a ringing in the treble
section. The customer is very unhappy; and the dealer feels it isn't the
piano, and won't take it back. I tried tapping the bridge pins, muting
the duplex scale, voicing the hammers. Still the ringing. It was not
obvious until she pointed it out. Now she is focussing on it, and it is
driving her crazy. What else can be done? Has anyone else had a similar
problem? I am the third technician to look at it; all screws have been
tightened and retightened. Could it be her hardwood floors? I don't
think so. Could it be the piano surrounded by windows? I don't think
that's it. It sounds like an internal piano problem. I phoned Phil Glen
today, service manager for Young Chang. He suggested checking the hammer
line. But it's more of an sypathetic after ring, vibrating from the
smaller strings that aren't dampened.

Thanks List,

Kenny Finlayson, RPT

         Ken,

         You are describing a situation I had with a Story and Clark
"Chinese "grand.

         I mean exactly! I tried everything you did (plus CA on the
bridge pins) and came to the same conclusion. This piano had sympathetic
harmonic ringing from the three open strings above the dampers and below
the last plate strut. I blocked off those three strings and the symptom
went away.

         I was contemplating ways of adding three more dampers (not an
easy task) when the manufacturers rep agreed to replace the piano with a
like model.

         Piano #2 did not demonstrate the symptom as much and the
customer accepted the switch.

         Your problem may differ somewhat and you seem to be in the
middle. My advice is to the best you can and as stated earlier today in
a different thread---"Don't make this your problem"

         Balancing customer service, dealer loyalty, and self
preservation---That's what we do I guess. Good luck.

         Tom Driscoll RPT