Repinning flanges: Unusual discovery and solution

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:53:26 +0200

Hello, David

Protek :

I suspect it had, but mostly because of the falseness of the
"temporary" friction evaluation (may be what you call "the reamer
where more efficient").

Have find hammers sticking up a few weeks later (grand) on a recently
repined job (all centers)
Not to afraid you, but possible call back , I had some for that
reason. There is something of a mistery, as on some flanges there is
only a return to slugginess as original, and on others , may be a
reaction with the plating, or whith graphite on the bushing, or
whatever, but the slugginess is more pronounced after presence of CLP)

I had also used Protek on the center pin (in their holder) with the
same result.
Did not figure a good method to take in account the change due to the
Protek.

Nowadays I only consider this magical product to be a no fix in many
case, a temporary one in some others, and of no help on plastic
flanges (as we all learned the hard way finally).

too bad, but I am faster on repining now !

I was told Yamaha pinning is treated - when inserted with some mix,
may be sillicon, may be teflon, any precise info welcome.

A product is always (?) used in the (Renner) factory to insert pins in
the new bushings, it is for what I know generally alcohol/water mix
(how strong ?)

BTW In the process of repining, we usually use long center wires (that
are still sold at Renner and others) as we had for some time on very
old instruments - one center meaning 20- 22 flanges for instance.
We roughen the center between 2 fine files at some center place, and
check the size (usually on size more with the roughening).
When during pinning, the center become cloaked with dirt or whatever
product have been use on the flange bushing previously,  we "clean"
the reamer with 2 files, so it stay cutting and the job is not as
slow.

I like the metal broaches, they stay straight and are more accurate,
but they finally get dirty and less efficient, so the result on the
middle of the set is not really the same that at the beginning, how do
you clean them ? if roughened they loose more thickness than wanted I
find (while the normal plated pin grows when roughened).

Have a good day every one !

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech