Broach roughness - Was: Repining flanges -naphtha on residue

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:49:32 +0200

Hello,

some of the old Apsco sets have been sold in Europe if you are looking for
them !

When using the long center pin with a roughened part, the roughened part is
on size more than the original env. I use another one for burnishing. Having
the two on one tool would be very convenient.

I was instructed to use long center pins for pinning jobs, they are cheaper
than pre cut ones, and burnish the felt when inserted, but can only be used
for some vertical pianos (too hard to pass thru the Birdseye a 20 cm long
center pin)

I have used pure Naphtha to clean old gummy (German >> Ballistol or such)
residue that is too often find on old flanges. I always find that the felt
is really brittle after that, and the pinning is taking too much play fast.
that is why I advertise against the use of oily products in the flanges, I
guess they tend to became paraffin like with time, and mixed with dust ,
make really a mess.

I guess there is some lanolin initially in the felt, and it is destroyed
with the naphtha.

In Europe we can ask ABEL (or RENNER) to rebush old flanges for a not too
high price , I did not use that service yet, new flanges if possible are
probably the only solution.

Rebush a set is still a very long job - do some have done it efficiently ?

A last question : do you know what product is used initially for pinning on
KAWAY , if some ?

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG