Broach roughness - Was: Repinning flanges

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:57:45 -0300

Hi Don,
Would you enlighten us, on the method used to make the roughness on the broaches?
Thank you.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Donald Mannino
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 3:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Broach roughness - Was: Repinning flanges

  Clyde,

  You are right - the old APSCO broaches were really nasty, with the rough area knurled and much too agressive.  Hopefully Schaff threw them all out when theybought APSCO, but I don't realyl know.  The rough area is supposed to be subtly rough, with something like the grit of fine sandpaper, maybe 320 grit or finer.  The point is that the felt should not be chewed up when reaming, and the reaming area should not be larger than the smooth area, or the smooth area would not do a good job of burnishing the cloth.

  If the broach gets clogged up, the cloth has very likely been lubricated with something that has become gummy.  I run into this sometimes, and it immediately throws up a red flag.  If the cloth is gummy and sticky, there's a very good chance that reaming and repinning is not going to be a permanent solution.  The gumminess will rear it's ugly head again, and the action will go sluggish.  In this case you might consider cleaning all the bushings with naptha, then keeping a cloth nearby to clean the broach occasionally.

  With clean dry bushing cloth, a quick tap on the edge of the workbench is all that is needed to shake out any wool dust that has accumulated on the broach.  I have had broach sets that were used to do many, many sets of action parts that kept working like new.

  Don Mannino