Help on aural stretch

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 21:02:39 +0200

17 th is related to the 3d, tenth, 17 th series , I guess that was What you
intended to say is not it ?

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE
tel : 033 01 47 18 06 98
fax : 033 01 47 18 06 90
cell: 06 60 42 58 77
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Donald Mannino
  Envoye : vendredi 11 avril 2003 20:38
  A : Pianotech
  Objet : Re: Help on aural stretch

  Dave,

  It depends an awful lot on the individual piano - that's why it is a
little hard to answer your question.  If the tone is clear and you can hear
double octave beats clearly, you can simply try to tune on the sharp side of
pure 4:1 double octaves.  In other pianos you can work with the octave + 5th
(17th) and tune them for consistency.  Just how the 17ths are tuned really
depends on the scale, though.

  In noisier pianos where all the beats may not be as clear, you can usually
still use the speed of the 2:1 beat as your guide to consistency - pull the
string quite sharp, and slow it down to where you can hear the beat clearly
and consistently, and gradually speed the beats up as you work into the top
octave to the point where they are almost too fast to hear.

  Or, set Cybertuner to OTS 9 and tune away . . .

  Don Mannino RPT