No killer octave here

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:23:19 +0100

"I have a question. How will that solve a lack of downbearing?"

Ron N

        "This is an interesting idea. What do you hope to accomplish by
doing this? Is not the real problem the bridge pins and not the bridge
body?"

Greg Newell

"Ok, I'll bite. How do bridge pins contribute to a lack of downbearing?"

Ron N

I found this system in an upright piano that came into my possession to be
scrapped after being involved in an accident. I will withhold the name of
the piano for the moment and keep you guessing except that it's infamous.
The piano was designed not to have bridge pins at all but instead a pressure
bar all the way along the bridge to "clamp" the strings to the bridge. The
theory behind it I suppose was that there would always be permanent and
consistent downbearing of the strings on the bridge no matter what the
soundboard was doing. There would also be no need to build a soundboard with
a crown; it could be made perfectly flat.

Regards
Alan Forsyth
Edinburgh
"I spent the first part of my life trying to get the things I wanted, now I
am spending the rest just trying to keep them!"