No killer octave here

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:35:09 -0400

Alan,
         In my view the only thing that you can assure with this pressure
bar is string termination. At some point , though, you will simply crush
the string into the bridge body and wind up with poor termination. I still
don't understand what this has to do with downbearing unless you are
somehow adjusting the height of the strings with this bar, although I don't
see how. Is the bridge body somehow height adjustable? The second point you
have is about a soundboard being able to be made perfectly flat as long as
sufficient downbearing exists. The two are interrelated and depend upon
each other for good piano tone. If you had a piano with poor downbearing
but plenty of crown the tone would suffer. In like manner if you had a
piano with plenty of downbearing but poor crown you would, again, have poor
tone. Please rethink what was supposed to be the benefit here and if
possible could you provide a clearer, larger picture?

Best,
Greg Newell