Killer Octave Question

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:13:36 -0400

Greg,

Ron's question was:

 >> > John,
 >> > How then does this correlate with the number of new Steinways we see
 >> > (often enough on the showroom floor) with concave crown in the killer
 >> > octave? It seems to me that if a crowned bridge is supporting
 >> soundboard
 >> > crown and making it last longer, there ought to be soundboard crown to
 >> > show for it. Especially in a new piano.

My answer in short is:

We see these problems because of a lack of craftsmanship not necessarily
because crowning the bridges doesn't work. I don't know if it really
helps or not but if it doesn't help it is not an explanation for why the
pianos made today have these problems. I also tried to explain why there
is a lack of craftsmanship today.

John