Killer Octave Question

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:22:41 -0500

>Are you trying to drown me with questions? I haven't yet finished
>responding to your last flock and now you have a few more.

No, I'm still on the first one. I doubt the rest will never be addressed,
but I'd still like an answer to this one. If I ever get it, we'll try the
next. If the crowned bridge supports soundboard crown, as you said, why do
so many Steinways (with crowned bridges) have negative soundboard crowns
before they even get out of the showroom? There is a fundamental
contradiction here I'm trying to get you to answer to.

>I'll tell you what, lets not get into a pissing match on this. From
>reading your posts in the archives I know our points of view are different
>and I have no chance of convincing you of anything. I am not interested in
>persuading you or getting drawn into long debate.

I don't wish to be persuaded or otherwise. I'd just like to hear something
technically reasonable from you that backs up your claim that crowned
bridges support soundboard crown. So far, I'm getting everything but.

>This all started when I tried to answer a question. I think I made my
>point and was of some help.

No, you didn't make any point that addressed my question.

>I will continue to try and help those with less experience than I by
>offering input. I also look forward to hearing from more experienced
>technicians who may answer my questions. I think there are others on this
>list that may be interested in discussing piano rebuilding issues from a
>point of view other than piano re-engineering.

Again, I'm not discussing re-engineering. I asked for an explanation of a
claim you made. It's very simple.

>Someone with your level of experience may not need this but I know this is
>what I am interested in. In the years I have been rebuilding pianos there
>are only a few instances when a re-engineering approach was practical,
>beneficial or profitable. Most all of the knowledge that has been useful
>to me comes from studying how these pianos worked and sounded.

Good. That's why I asked how the crowned bridge in one of the pianos you
have studied for so many years works.

>For the most part replicating their design and implementing many of the
>original techniques leads directly to better results and improved
>efficiency. I know through the phone calls I get and questions at chapter
>meetings I attend that there are many technicians just starting out or at
>an intermediate level that are interested in these basics of piano re-building.

Only if the information they are given is reasonable and sensible - hence
my question.

>As far as crowned bridges are concerned these are the facts as I see them.
>
>1) Some Pianos were made with crowned  bridges. Steinway and Mason &
>Hamlin for sure.

Never at issue.

>2) A crowned bridge works with the ribs to form the belly (soundboard
>crown in both directions).

Also never at issue, but so does an un-crowned bridge, as I've ascertained.

>3) The highest point of the curve was under the low treble.

Never at issue.

>4) We don't know how or why or if this works to help the tone.

Never at issue.

>5) It's obvious that a crowned bridge could add strength to the soundboard
>but not sure how much.

Very much at issue. This is the question, because it is decidedly NOT obvious.

>6) It is easy and fast to do if you know how to use basic woodworking tools.

Not at issue.

>7) There is no evidence that it harms the piano in any way.

Where did this come from? Not an issue.

>This is all I have to say about it at this time. In the future could you,
>Ron, please ask only one or two questions at a time?
>
>John Hartman RPT

You've just given me seven points on my one question, only one of which has
any  bearing on the question, and none of which contains any answers. Here
it is again, John. One question. If, as you said, the crowned bridge helps
support soundboard crown and makes the crown last longer, then why do so
many new Steinways with crowned bridges have concave killer octaves? Please
try to answer only the one question at a time.

Ron N