Killer Octave Question

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 12:58:12 +1000

>Greg,
>
>Ron's question was:
>
>>>  > John,
>>>  > How then does this correlate with the number of new Steinways we see
>>>  > (often enough on the showroom floor) with concave crown in the killer
>>>  > octave? It seems to me that if a crowned bridge is supporting
>>>  soundboard
>>>  > crown and making it last longer, there ought to be soundboard crown to
>>>  > show for it. Especially in a new piano.
>
>My answer in short is:
>
>We see these problems because of a lack of craftsmanship not
>necessarily because crowning the bridges doesn't work. I don't know
>if it really helps or not but if it doesn't help it is not an
>explanation for why the pianos made today have these problems. I
>also tried to explain why there is a lack of craftsmanship today.
>
>John

John,

And my short response is; I'm afraid I cannot share your view that
there "is a lack of craftsmanship today". Just as in days past, today
there are many examples of sloppy craftsmanship and somewhat less
examples of fine craftsmanship.

I suspect you may need to widen your sample base, perhaps a little
wider than New York, to find present day examples of fine
workmanship. Believe me it does exist, but not perhaps from the same
hallowed halls of a century ago. For example, check out the
workmanship of Stephen Paulello (the French piano maker). Stephen
built his own concert grand in the early 90's. Its a fine piece of
work and not just a clone of what's gone before.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers