Killer Octave Question - wire thoughts - Delignit

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:40:14 +0200

Hello ,

Thanks in your interest, I'd say there is some fine craftsmanship yet
but a very few can really design things, and that is understandable.
Re-engineering is certainly an option , assuming one knows what he is
doing, and even then I suppose there are many parameters unknown.

Klaus Fenner does not favor the crowning of the bridge bottom, I guess
that if it is supposed to help that is only a very little and only
because of the "assembly effect" that certainly play a little role in
the soundboard stiffness (as well as the effect of having it glued all
around is not it ?)
Nowadays theory is still only expecting a result.

Yes Stephen have been doing a fine job in 92, and in the near future
will be building a 217 model (may be another concert grand too).

A web site is planned, but it is not ready yet, very interesting too,
a showroom that can allow for technicians meetings, trainings,
conferences, will be ready in Paris in September.
Then a place will be ready to invite technicians from the whole world
!!!

Stephen have also been working on the strings quality, he have
obtained 3 strings quality that are intended to replace the strings
used in historical instruments, Firmini or Poehlman or even modern
ones (till 1930 or so).

The string problem have always been a big one when rebuilding our
French Pleyel and Erard, as the Roslau wire is not really giving that
fast stabilization tone (with less power in low partials often )we had
in these instruments.

The strings made for Stephen are made in slower passes and the number
and speed of passes are giving the different qualities he is after.

They show a brass/copper plated look, as a product (?) is to be used
when annealing (thinning) the wire may be that is the same kind you
have on "gold" Mape series. The surface product can be cleaned with
scotch Brite if one want the normal aspect.
I'll be trying these soon on a 1950 Pleyel grand (Firmini strings) .
A complete set of sizes is still expensive around $450 the coils are
250 g I hope!

Talking about different qualities, I was not aware of that, but piano
wire is annealed in a crystal tool, and when the tool is older the
roundness and evenness is less good, that is why Roslau wire is sold
in 2 qualities : red, for the less precise one (used annealing crystal
tool) and blue for the better one. As I always have used the blue one
I was not even knowing these 2 quality .

B.T.W. I was told that Delignit pinblocks also have 2 qualities but I
guess that have to do with the density, and ply quality ??? (the best
one being known as "black quality").

I like Stephen's piano a lot, indeed he designed some very interesting
features as a whippen heel that can be regulated in height, "bridge
eyelets" in place of agrafes, individual string rest that can be
height regulated horizontally, and more - and of course he used some
others that where designed by the old masters too.
There have been recordings made with it, I'll try to obtain a list of
those if some are interested.
For sure a web site will be a must for international communication !

With best regards to all.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech