Broach roughness - Was: Repining flanges

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:51:22 +0200

Hello,

Is not roughening with a file adding thickness to the iron wire , not as
much as with a brass center pin but certainly a little ?

My process involve the use of 2 medium files (with crossed lines) and the
thickness certainly grows, I am able to obtain sometime a "one tool does it
all" while controlling the thickness with a micrometer, but it is not really
accurate, more is the use of a center pin wire as a burnished.

I don't  understand how you can obtain a tool that is at the same time a
reamer and a burnishes.

With a center wire (we buy these in 50 cm length) rolling between 2 files
the size grows from one to  2 sizes, depending of the files used.
As these clog and are to be roughened again the tool is changing size and
strength and I have to make new ones on a regular basis.

So I have to develop a feel for the efficiency of the tool, if I do pinning
regularly I keep it, if I don't for some time it takes 10-15 pins to find
the good method.

I am very interested in your broaches, but the sizes seem to differ from the
metric sizes we are used too, so I should make some on metric wires myself.

I've been using piano strings for that, but they are not straight enough
mostly, and some sizes are not common.

How large is the roughened part on your broaches ?

Thanks in advance

Greetings

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG