"Cupped" Bridge on Short pianos

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:30:41 -0700

I occured to me that most of you have been talking about bridges on pianos
of size. The first soundboard I did, was for a 5'1" Wurlitzer. (Don't even
go there!;-) Because the board was so small, the flat bridge that I made for
it, (out of scrap pinblock material), would not fit the curvature of the
board. Enclosed is a photo, (sorry for the quality), of the amount that
needed to be trimmed off of the bottom. The thin strip to the left is what
was taken off, (plus blade kerf). Once this amount was removed, the bridge
fit nicely and didn't require pneumatic jacks to fit the board. Just my take
on it.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

P.S.
The picture is too big, so if you want to see it, I can send it to you
direct. (Still haven't figured out how to down-size my scans!:-(  )