Bridge Pressure Bar

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:24:56 -0700 (PDT)

> At 05:42 PM 4/14/03 , you wrote:
>Del, Thanks for your explanation.....
>
>Here is a picture of the cross section of the soundboard that goes with
this
>pressure bar (image also attached) system. As you can see it IS
>unconventional. The soundboard is double skinned, the outer panels being
>only 2mm thick. The overall thickness of the board is 15mm. The ribs are
>23mm X 11mm placed 33mm apart. Because of the double skin, this board is
>very stiff, and very light. It is also my intuitive guess that this
>soundboard would be fairly immune to humidity changes - the theory being
>that, I suppose, the less material there is, the less moisture it can
absorb
>or release and therefore the less it will tend to "heave"...............

Alan, thanks for the pictures.  Did you mention in a previous post what make this piano is?  If so, I missed it.  Are the soundboard panels and ribs spruce?  Is the bridge maple?  What are the pins I see sticking up from the bridge in the soundboard photo?  I don't notice them in the bridge photo.  As best I can tell it looks as if the grain of the panels is running horizontal (parallel to the floor on an upright).  Is that
correct?  It also looks as if the ribs are running vertical.  I assume that the ribs that you are talking about are the pieces internal to the soundboard and that there are no external ribs.  Did you hear this piano played?  If so, how was the tone?  the sustain?

Regards,

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration