Baldwin warantee

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:46:32 -0500

The word I got was that Gibson bought the assets of the old Baldwin
Co. from the bankruptcy court and that they didn't actually buy the
old company.  There's a difference between buying a building and some
machines, and buying a company.  I'm not defending their actions, I
just think that's the way they did it.

dave
*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 4/15/2003 at 6:34 PM Kevin E. Ramsey wrote:
Roger Jolly, being a Baldwin dealer,,,,,,,,,,wait, I don't think he
is any more.........oh, well. He may still be able to answer this
better than I.
    I don't know, for the life of me, how Gibson can take over a
company like Baldwin and not assume the responsibilities of the
original company, but apparently they think that they can. I suppose
the Courts will have to decide that one, but who wants to step up
with half a million dollars to find out?
Kevin.
----- Original Message -----
From: PatchWick@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 5:48 PM
Subject: Baldwin warantee

Hey list:

I recently was called to tune a 10 year old Baldwin console. Turns
out that the pin block is totally separated from the frame (end to
end and top to bottom). The frame posts are all loose at the top as
well. The local Baldwin dealer checked with the factory (now owned by
Gibson) to see if they would replace/repair this piano under the
original warantee. Turns out that not only will they NOT honor this
warantee but that the warantees on all the brand new Baldwins on his
sales floor were null and void as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks
will wickham
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu