Worth it? was Baldwin warrantee

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 04:57:47 EDT

In a message dated 4/15/03 9:05:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

> My point: I don't get much dealer work and almost no warranty repairs out
> here, but what little I've seen and stories I've heard suggest that neither
> is really worth much to my business.
>
> How does that notion fit in with the experience of others? How about you
> city-slickers? Is it better in a bigger new-piano market?

Alan,

Dealer "prep" is sorely lacking in the greater SF Bay Area, too.  I do a fair
amount of dealer work, and warranty work once in a while.  Having only been
self-employed for a little over a year, it will take awhile until I don't
have to do dealer work anymore.  When that time arrives, I will celebrate.

The thing that gets me is when certain dealers have a floor piano that is
20-30% flat/sharp.  "Just tune it," they might say, not understanding the
concept of a pitch raise no matter how many times I explain it or how many
copies of the PTG Technical Bulletin I give them.  Most of them seem to be
only concerned with getting the pianos out the door, and not with how the
pianos function once they are in the home.  And despite efforts by the better
techs to educate them, they  choose to remain ignorant.

On the other side of the coin, the customers around here price shop to the
point where the dealers often make a very small profit on many new
instruments, which leaves few $ for floor prep.  The guy who does the free
follow-up in-home-tuning struggles with getting a very flat or sharp piano to
pitch and in tune.  And customers are told by the dealer that the piano needs
to be tuned "maybe once a year," so they don't understand why their new 5,000
dollar upright goes out of tune 3 months after the tuner was there.  The
conflict lies in the tech trying to explain to the customer that new pianos
need frequent service without stepping on sales-peoples' toes.

Like I said, when the time comes that I don't need to work for dealers, I
will celebrate...

I've done warranty work for Kawai, and they have been quite timely in their
reimbursements.  The customers that I've done the work for have been
impressed with how promptly the work has been done.  I've gotten many
recommendations from these customer to their friends, and gotten far more
work than the original warranty job out of them.

Dave Stahl