Restoring crown in old soundboards - new cracks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:00:41 -0400

Weldwood, yes. Titebond, yes. Hide glue, yes. Any good wood glue. I personally have used hide glue and Titebond.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac OLEG" <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 4:45 AM
Subject: RE: Restoring crown in old soundboards - new cracks

Hello,

I by chance did not see yet (more recent) shims of mine cracking, but
since I uses a router to open the crack, the joint is cleaner and not
made of crushed wood.

I still wander what glue of choice to use on these shims, Plastic
resin from Weldwood (UreaFormalheyde monocomposite), Titebond ((I
doubt). We have in Europe Caurite which is too a UreaFormol , but the
joint may be the thinner possible (no strength of the glue by itself).

What are you using generally (if you don't mind ?)

And yes almost all the shims that have been made 10 to 15 years ago
are opening again on almost all the instruments I see.

best Regards

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech