Restoring crown in old soundboards - new cracks

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:26:22 -0600

>And yes almost all the shims that have been made 10 to 15 years ago
>are opening again on almost all the instruments I see.
>
>best Regards
>
>Isaac OLEG

Hi Isaac,
                Do you dry down the board and shims just prior to
installation?  We use two 50Watt damp chaser rods hanging about 30cms below
the board, the pre fitted shims are left on top of the board to also dry
for  3 or4 days,  the piano is draped in moving blankets.   We clamp the
shims in position with go bars.
     Some times we will create another crack with the drying down.

Regards Roger