Worth it? was Baldwin warrantee

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

Dave, Mike, etc.

When I started learning this biz, there was much
encouragement to do floor tunings to gain experience
and expertise.  The dealers I've approached seem to be
inundated with experienced techs and don't want to
mess around with less-experienced types.

I've landed a 1-2 day a week job working in a
rebuilding/refinishing shop, so my repair and
stripping/sanding skills are florishing.  My tuning
skills are slowly getting better, too, but not nearly
as fast as if I were tuning 20 pianos/wk, instead of
the 5/wk that I'm doing.  However, my customers are
satisfied and often refer me.

As a result, I've pretty much decided that dealer work
will not be a part of my business any time in the
future.  Working for people that want to pay less for
more just isn't my cup o' tea.  (too many years as an
independent trucker, I guess).

Just my cynical take,

Dave Davis
Renton, WA

--- Mike  Spalding <mjbkspal@execpc.com> wrote:
> I only do occasional dealer work, mostly floor
> tunings.  I have found that their expectations for
> the tuning quality are in line with what they are
> willing to pay;

  But if you're looking