damper springs

Warren Fisher fishwar@earthlink.net
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:03:28 -0500

Paul,
The spoons on the wippen keep the heads off the strings when there is no
felt there.  Pull several of them toward you and see if they snap back
smartly.  If so, leave them alone.   The real test is when you put new
felt on.  The damper should be tight enoungh not to ring. If any of the
heads are way out of line with the others, you may want to adjust the
spoons to get them in the ball park.
Warren Fisher